Once you have gone through the challenge of choosing the proper boat for your fishing needs you still have the hassle of making sure you are getting a good deal. There are a few tips and factors to consider so you make sure you are getting a proper deal on a used bass boat. Consider the following five tips when choosing a Ranger bass boat.
1. The first step is very important. You need to make sure you have proof of ownership. If you don’t then there is a chance you could be buying stolen property. If you aren’t completely confident in your ability to research and choose a boat then you can always go through a broker. A broker will be able to find you a good deal, a legitimate boat and also provide you with expert opinion on what boat you want to buy. A broker can also help you arrange for financing options. Once you have a boat in mind then you can focus on the test drive in order to find out if the boat is in good condition.
2. Before you start your test drive it is a good idea to let the engine warm up. Having a warmed-up engine is a good indication of whether or not the boat will have start-up trouble. Some owners will have the boat already started by the time you get there, this may be a sign that they are trying to hide something. Always make sure the boat is warmed-up in your presence.
3. Once the boat is running you should take a look around the boat before leaving for the test drive. You should look for oil leaks around the bilge; this should also be done after the test drive. Check how well the gauges and instruments work. Always be sure to check the oil pressure.
4. While on the test run you want to pay careful attention to the maneuvering of the boat. This can tell you a lot about the overall capability of the boat. A part of the test run should include maneuvering for wide and tight turns. Check the response time by maneuvering the boat both forward and backward. Find out how long it takes to get to high speeds as well as how well the boat handles at low speeds. Make sure you test drive is long enough to check for overheating problem.
5. Finally, if you are sure this is the boat you want and that it is worth buying you can start negotiating for the best price. After a selling price is agreed upon be sure the owner documents it as well as the terms of purchase and other add-ons that may need to be purchased. If you are buying a new boat it is always a good idea to contact multiple dealers first so you can comparison shop before buying your boat. If you are shopping for used boats then you likely won’t be able to find a better deal or even the same boat. If this is the case you will likely want to buy the first boat that successfully meets your needs and pasts sea trials.